Navigation

Search this site

Student Spotlight: Erin Falk

Get to know our Marketing Communications intern, Erin Falk!

Year: 3rd
Major: Media Studies and American Studies
Hometown: Springfield, VA

What do you miss the most about your hometown when you’re at U.Va.?
I miss watching Jeopardy with my family and making up new nicknames for our dog, Hoot, together!

What drew you to the Women’s Center and your program?
I wanted to get involved with the Women’s Center because I felt the need to finally do something about my concern for women’s issues, especially after coming to U.Va and witnessing first-hand the specific challenges college women face. I didn’t know much about the center’s programming before becoming an intern, so Marketing Communications was attractive to me because I wanted to promote events and services to the University community while also learning about them myself! I was also curious to learn more about how social media can be used as a tool to facilitate social change.

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I love weird socks and slippers! I’m always wearing mismatched socks, so one day I’ll have a koala face on one foot and a mustache pattern on the other. The more unexpected the better! Animal slippers are also a big part of my life—I’ve had penguins, frogs, monkeys, and I currently have ostriches.

Tell us about the most influential woman in your life.
Definitely my mom! She read Harry Potter to me when I was little, which gave me my love of reading and stories in general. She also inspires me to be intellectually curious and open-minded, because she’s always listening to the radio or taking an online class “just for fun.”

If you had access to a time machine where and when would you go?
Either the 1920’s in New York or the Regency era in the English countryside. Basically The Great Gatsby vs. Jane Austen.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Probably the very general “Do what you want.” It’s so easy to get caught up with trying to meet the expectations of others that I can sometimes forget how important my own happiness is in my life.

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.