Navigation

Search this site

Student Spotlight: Maggie Mascarenhas

Get to know Marketing Communications intern, Maggie Mascarenhas!

Year: 3rd
Major: Government and History
Hometown: Falls Church City, VA

What do you miss the most about your hometown when you’re at U.Va.?
I love relaxing on my porch. It’s a pretty cool indoor-outdoor space that’s especially fun during thunderstorms. My dad also recently got a new dog who is a lot of fun.

What drew you to the Women’s Center and your program?
I learned about the Women’s Center and the services it provides through events like Take Back the Night and Fear2Freedom, and also from other interns I met during my first two years at UVa. These events inspired me and I knew that I wanted to be a part of planning and promoting activities that do so much good within the community. It feels great to be involved with an organization that works to create positive change for women and to be able to learn more about how to foster social change. I was specifically drawn to the Marcomm program because I wanted to learn more about the role of social media in advocacy and organization and because I am interested in eventually working in the field of political communications.

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I really like to take naps but I sleep on my stomach so it looks like I face plant on my pillow. My roommate first year even made a Facebook album of me napping called “The Life and Times of Maggie Mascarenhas” that developed quite a following among our friends.

Tell us about the most influential woman in your life.
I have an awesome mom who crushed the work life balance when I was growing up. She rarely missed a soccer game and excelled at a stressful career as an event planner. Then, when I was in middle school she changed careers and went back to school to get a Masters in Counseling. Now she works with clients of all ages focusing on marriage and family relationships but also works in a women’s home helping treat addiction patients. It has been incredibly inspiring to watch her excel at different careers and never give up or her dreams and aspirations.

If you had access to a time machine where and when would you go?
I want to see what the world is like 100 years from now so I would use the time machine to travel to the future! If I had to go back in time, though, I would want to see the dinosaurs.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
The best advice I have ever received is something along the lines of “don’t let anyone else define your version of success.”

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.