Navigation

Search this site

Student Spotlight: Holly Morcos

Get to know Gender Violence and Social Change intern, Holly Morcos!

What do you miss the most about your hometown when you're at UVA?
There are several things I miss about my hometown, Bayonne, NJ, when I'm at UVA. I really miss the convenience of my hometown's location and transportation, I'm 45 minutes out from NYC which is great and I also miss my pets!

Why are you passionate about the Women's Center?
The fact that we live in the year 2016 and women are by and large still not equal to men in the eyes of society boggles my mind. Almost everything we have in our society are designed to ensure the success of men, so places like the Women's Center are essential in the journey of evening the playing field. Not only does it give women a place to speak up, but it also acts as a vital resource for women who do not necessarily have access to a variety of resources. This access can be anywhere from legal help, educational resources in the library, or simply a place gain the confidence and support network they need to thrive.

What's something you know you do differently than most people?
I'm extremely outspoken. I have strong opinions and a lot of ideas, that combined with my honesty differentiates me from other people. I have a lot of confidence in my opinions and I don't believe in lying to people so, I openly express my opinions all the time, sometimes with unapologetic honesty for better or worse. This is a trait that I believe is discouraged in young girls, and I think that's a shame, we need to teach more women that their thoughts are not only valuable but are also as valid as anyone else's. 

What is your favorite UVA Tradition?
My favorite UVA tradition is Lighting of the Lawn, I have gone every year since First year and it's what I'll miss the most! There is something truly magical about that tradition.

If you had access to a time machine, where and when would you go?
I have given this a lot of thought because I've been obsessed with Back to the Future for a long time, so my answer is the 1800s. I tend to wrongly romanticize the past, but I believe the 1800s was the era of the best literature and I would love to meet my favorite authors. I would start out in Europe, and then make the long and hard journey to the U.S. Though I'm not sure how I'd cope with the all the restrictions they had on women and lack of technology.

What's a fun fact you'd like people to know about you?
I love art, all expressions of art actually! I could spend the whole day in a museum (which I have done) and not get bored. If I have extra money I will splurge on plays and concerts. I also write poetry in my free time. I just think there is something transcendent about engaging with art.

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
7 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.