Get to know MLP Big Brother, Aman Mangalmurti

Year: 3rd
Major: Neuroscience
Hometown: Ashburn, VA

What do you miss most about your hometown when you're at UVA?
Right now it’s my Golden pup Charlie! At seven months old he is a handful, but whenever I’m home he’ll follow me around and it tugs at my heartstrings to leave that behind.

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?
The Men’s Leadership Project works to mentor and instill leadership traits in 7th grade boys. Our current culture pushes boys to be emotionless, dominant and physical, traits that can potentiate a host of negative and potentially dangerous actions. MLP is an acknowledgement that having someone by your side to explore the values of masculinity can prevent some of those consequences. I am invested in MLP because I really believe that we are fulfilling the role of a positive male role model for a group of boys who may not have an alternative. Also I love stepping out of the bubble that is UVA. It’s refreshing and hilarious to work with kids who are used to speaking their minds.

What made you choose UVA over other schools you applied to?
To be completely honest it’s a great school and in-state so it was a easy decision for me! But also, I was really excited about the idea of going to a large school. It made me feel as though no matter what I would find somewhere that I would belong.

What has surprised you about UVA?
I think that there is a homogenizing force at UVA that makes people, at first glance, seem to be very similar, and I did not expect that from such a large school. As corny as it sounds, I’m also surprised about how this has really pushed me to go beyond the surface of people to look for diversity of ideas rather just peoples’ images.

What's a fun fact you'd like people to know about you?
I got my motorcycle license recently, and I am currently in the market!

If you could have coffee with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
This might be lame since he is still alive, but it would have to be my favorite author Junot Díaz. His stories have such an authentic vibe. I would love to be able to Q&A with him to learn more about what informs some of his unsavory/tragic plot points.