Get to know YWLP Big Sister, Laura Troyano

Year: 4th year
Major: Media Studies major, Spanish minor
Hometown: Fairfax, Virginia

What do you miss most about your hometown when you're at UVA?
I'm from Northern Virginia, so I'm really not too far from home. However, when I'm at school, I miss all of my favorite ethnic restaurants that my dad and I like to go to. Going home to a refrigerator that's actually full is always a perk too!

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?
YWLP has been so important to me for the past 3 years because I've gotten to be a part of three wonderful young women's lives during a time that is notoriously full of changes, self-doubt, and drama. My "little sisters" are such beautiful people who have overcome so much and it's been very special to know that they see me as someone they can open up to and rely on. I've gotten to see first hand the impact that the program can have in these young women's lives and it is truly something amazing. Not to mention, the program has also really helped me get out of the "UVa Bubble" and into the community and has introduced me to some great friends as well.

What has surprised you about UVA?
I've been surprised by how much I have fallen in love with the Charlottesville area. YWLP has given me the opportunity to feel involved in the Charlottesville community and through that I've gotten to see so much of the city and county. Whether downtown or out in the mountains, there's always somewhere beautiful and exciting to explore.

What's a fun fact you'd like people to know about you?
I was actually born with a tooth! My first dentist appointment was a few hours after I was born.

If you could have coffee with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
I would love to sit down for coffee with my grandpa on my mom's side. I never got to meet him but I've heard so many amazing things about him over the years. My mom is always saying how alike we are and I would love to be able to see that in real life. We'd probably chat in Spanish because he actually taught himself how to speak it!