The application for the Oleda D. Casscells Fellowship is open to all UVA graduate students for the 2016-2017 academic year. You can find the application on cavlink. Please contact Jaronda Miller-Bryant at email@example.com or (434) 924-9732 if you have any questions. Know someone who would make a great Women’s Center Casscells Fellow? Pass along this post!
The Oleda D. Casscells Fellowship is an award given annually to an outstanding graduate student at the University of Virginia who will coordinate mentoring efforts that effectively serve students at the University of Virginia. This position is situated in the Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center.
To reflect Mrs. Casscells’ own values, the Oleda Casscells Fellow will possess several key characteristics, including: awareness of others’ needs; excellence in a variety of areas, including the capacity to lead outreach programs that focus on aiding women to develop confidence, competence and autonomy; and a vision that includes encouraging positive and strong relationships between men and women as a part of mentoring programs.
At the University of Virginia, the mentor program the Odela Casscells Fellow will support is the Young Women Leaders Program (YWLP). YWLP was founded in 1997 at the University of Virginia and is a psycho-educational mentoring program that empowers middle school girls to be leaders by combining one-on-one mentoring with targeted group activities for a year to address issues related to girls’ sense of self, scholastic achievement, body image, social aggression, and healthy decision-making. YWLP is co-sponsored by the Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center and the Curry School of Education.
The Fellow will earn $12.00/hr. The requirement is 15-20 hours a week and the responsibilities of this fellowship include:
Program Administrative Support:
Administrative tasks to include:
- Purchasing, maintaining and distributing group inventory materials
- Maintain and submit monthly purchasing documentation
- Assist in the coordination of event planning
- Assist with copying and organization of curricular materials and paperwork
- Maintain system for tracking and communicating with newly recruited mentors (spring semester)
- Assist with the preparation of program presentations
- Edit and revise document
- Interview mentor candidates
- Help mentors with their mentoring relationships, and other tasks as needed
Course Assistant: Issues Facing Adolescent Girls
Class time: Fall: Mondays 4-6 pm
Duties will include:
- Attending and contributing to class planning discussions
- Collecting class attendance and follow up with absent students
You can find the application on cavlink.