Get to know MLP Big Brother, Joey Paris!

What do you miss the most about your hometown when you're at UVA?
So I lived in Atlanta, Georgia my entire life before coming to UVA, and I would have to say that the biggest thing I miss (aside from my family, of course) is the weather. I do not deal well with cold weather at all, so the colder winters and the more frequent snow days are something that have required a lot of time to get used to. Also, I do miss the fact that Atlanta is such a cosmopolitan city. I love Charlottesville as a college town and can't imagine any better place to go to college, but I do sometimes miss the suburban city feel of the A-T-L.

Why are you passionate about the Women's Center?
Honestly, I did not know much about the Women's Center before joining the Men's Leadership Project. I was unaware of many of the resources it afforded UVA students, but I'm glad that I have had the chance to become more familiar with its service through the MLP program. My favorite part about being in MLP is the opportunity to really transform the lives of some of these middle schoolers. It’s rewarding to know that the program has made a real impact on the boys we mentor. I’ve seen boys become more confident and more comfortable, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know many of the boys on a more personal level. Most important, the program has helped me learn that true leadership indeed requires service to others.

What's something you know you do differently than most people?
I have some very bizarre study habits. For example, I have a desk in my room, but I never actually use it for its intended purpose -- it's more of a stomping grounds for random, miscellaneous things. Instead, I can really only study or read if I'm lying down. I know it sounds weird, but I find it to be much more comfortable and conducive to a good learning experience.

What is your favorite UVA Tradition?
I'm a huge fan of Lighting of the Lawn. Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year, and I feel that LOTL is a great way to bring the entire University community together during the Christmas season. Plus, I love listening to a capella music (of which there is plenty at this event!).

If you had access to a time machine, where and when would you go?
Wow that's a really good question. I'm a little obsessed with art history, especially the classical works of antiquity, so I would definitely want to travel to ancient Greece and Rome to experience what their cultures and civilizations were like. Although it is one of my lifelong dreams to travel to Greece and Italy, I think that being able to visit these places when they were at the height of their colorful histories would be the coolest thing ever and something that I would never forget.

What's a fun fact you'd like people to know about you?
Somehow, my two younger brothers and I all have different hair colors -- I have brown hair, Jack has red hair, and Jimmy has blonde hair (so we've really got all colors of the rainbow in my family). Also, another fun fact is that I really enjoy corny jokes and word play and am always trying to crack puns when the opportunity arrives!