Get to know Social Media Marketing intern, Joslyn Chesson!

Year: 4th year
Major: Media Studies and Spanish
Hometown: Alexandria, VA

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?
For me it’s about promoting all of the amazing resources and opportunities that the Women’s Center has to offer to students that may not have heard about it or are in need of a place to go to de-stress.

What made you choose UVA over other schools you applied to?
UVA was never high on my list of potential Universities (I thought I wanted to escape Virginia) until I visited Grounds. The lawn, the rotunda and the great balance between academics and rallying around sports teams grabbed my attention.

What has surprised you about UVA?
Though UVA is a large University, it has surprised me how easy it is to find smaller circles of people and get involved with activities you are passionate about. Everybody is so inclusive and there is an overwhelming sense of school pride.

What's something you know you do differently than most people?
I have a fear of tripping and falling down the stairs (I’m super clumsy), so I generally walk pretty slowly when I’m going down a large flight and I never text and walk down the stairs!

If you could have coffee with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
Steve Prefontaine. He was an incredible olympic distance runner and had enormous determination and dedication to the sport. I want to know where he got his drive to keep going even when he was in pain or injured. As a cross country runner in High School and a marathoner, “Pre” has always been somewhat of a role model. “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift” -Steve Prefontaine.