Get to know Body Positive intern, Madison Baril!

Year: 3rd year
Major: Commerce
Hometown: Chesapeake, Va

1. Why are you passionate about your program at the Women’s Center?
I want to make people more aware of the media they consume and how it affects their perceptions of themselves and others– I think once people are aware of this they’ll be more empathetic and just better people.

2. What made you choose UVA?
I chose UVA honestly because of its undergrad business program. And I’m happy (?) to say I currently am enrolled in McIntire!

3. What has surprised you about UVA?
When I first came to UVA, I had a really hard time finding friends who had similar interests as me. But, once I started joining clubs, and became an intern at the Women’s Center, I realized that there are a lot of people here who care more about changing the world with their education than finding a prestigious career and making millions of dollars after college.

4. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I know that I do my hair differently than most people. I have naturally curly hair that I’m pretty proud of, but also an undercut (which I trim myself)! I’m planning on shaving it all off during St. Baldricks this year. Hopefully I don’t chicken out.

5. If you could have coffee with anyone from history who would it be?
If I could have coffee with anyone from history, I would choose Amelia Earhart. I really want to know what happened to her and only she knows.