students in lounge
Resources

Get to know Men's Leadership Project Big Brother, Nick Rupert!

Year: Second Year
Major: Pre-Comm, and Music
Hometown: Clifton, VA

1. Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?

The Men's Leadership Project (MLP) gives me hope for the future. As a big brother in MLP I get to work with my little brother and the other seventh graders in MLP in order for all of us to grow and become better leaders. A lot of these kids have never had a consistent male role model in their lives and it's been such a rewarding experience being there for them throughout the year. I've honestly had so much fun teaching them about life, and learning alongside them as the year has progressed. Throughout the year we cover topics ranging from bullying, to sportsmanship, to what it means to be a man, and we even do some community service. I highly recommend applying for the Men's Leadership Project if you're looking to give back to the community, and develop a mentoring relationship that is extremely fulfilling.

2. What made you choose UVA over other schools you applied to?

I came here for the food. Just kidding. UVA was close enough to home that I could go home whenever I wanted to, but far away enough that my parents weren't going to visit every weekend. I knew that I would receive a high quality education here regardless of what I studied, and on top of that I think that Charlottesville is absolutely beautiful. I wanted to study music and business, and UVA just so happened to have an excellent music department, and a renowned undergraduate business program. I love it here.

3. What has surprised you about UVA?

I'm kind of surprised I haven't been ousted yet for not being preppy. I don't own anything that's vineyard vines, or a pair of sperrys. I also don't know how to tie a bow tie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. What's something you know you do differently than most people?

In high school I was a musical athletic nerd, and I think I'm basically the college equivalent of that here. I basically live at the gyms on Grounds, and anytime I'm not there I'm probably at Old Cabell Hall playing the cello.

5. How has a mentor impacted you?

My RA from last year really encouraged me to branch out and explore everything that the university had to offer. He's the reason I found out about MLP in the first place, and the reason that I joined things like 1in4 and the Meriwether Lewis Institute. He was always there to talk to whenever I was stressed out, and always helped me work through whatever issues I had, whether they were academic or personal. I strive to be the same way with the kids in MLP: a friend and mentor that always has their back, and helps them to become the best version of themselves. (Shoutout to @Haden Parrish)

Interested in working with a student like Nick next year? Join the Women’s Center team! Learn more about the internship and mentorship opportunities available for you.