Navigation

Search this site

Student Spotlight: Augusta Durham

Get to know Women, Girls & Global Justice intern, Augusta Durham

Year: 3rd 
Major: Double major in Global Development Studies, Women, Gender & Sexuality and a minor in African American Studies.
Hometown: Reston, Virginia

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?
I am passionate about Women, Girls, and Global Justice because we address gender justice on a local and global scale. I strive to achieve gender justice through all forms whether it is commemorating women through International Women’s Month, creating a social media plan to market a non-profit that helps women become entrepreneurs in developing countries or working the Global History of Black Girlhood. I want women to be at the forefront of the conversation and with Women, Girls, and Global Justice I am able to increase awareness about women’s issues on Grounds. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In 10 years I hopefully have a PhD. I am making meaningful contributions to ending rape culture in the United States in an intersectional activist organization. I am teaching classes at a University. I am working at the Daily Show or Full Frontal. I am traveling, doing research. Any of those options would be the dream. 

What other organizations are you involved with at UVA?
I am co-chair of logistics for TEDxUVa, a student assistant in the Women, Gender & Sexuality Department, an undergraduate assistant to Ira Bashkow in the Anthropology department, a member of the Global Certificate Committee and Vice President of Communications for my sorority Pi Beta Phi. 

What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far? 
My favorite memory of UVA is the end of my last TED conference when the feeling of satisfaction washes over you because the conference went smoothly; it inspired people and the nostalgia that nothing like it will ever happen again.

What is something you know you do differently than other people?
I pronounce crayons as crowns. I say mehhhhh when I don't understand things very audibly. 

What is your guilty pleasure?
Ne-Yo’s “Congratulations.”  

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.