<p>Photo credit: https://zugrisphotography.portfoliobox.net/home" target="_blank">Nick Zuris</a></p>
Get to know Men's Leadership Project intern AND Big Brother, Kevin Westfield!

Year: 3rd year
Major: English and Women Gender and Sexuality, double major
Hometown: Hollywood, Florida

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?
The Men’s Leadership Project is a wonderful opportunity for young men, like our Bigs, to engage and influence young boys, our Littles, in a way that combats unhealthy masculinity. As someone who is committed to the cause of establishing equality for all bodies, I find that my involvement with this program positions me in a unique spot where I can address the ones often seen as the perpetrators of these inequalities: male identifying bodies. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I hope to see myself as a graduate from Law school and working in the field. I wish to make ways to India where I feel I can be of use doing pro bono work for women who experience discrimination in any form.

What other organizations are you involved with at UVA?
Coupled with my responsibilities as an intern with the MLP, I also volunteer as a Big. I am the President of the Afro-Latinx Student Organization (ALSO) and the Community Action, Leadership and Empowerment on Grounds (CALE). I work as a Career Peer Educator in our Career Center, and I am doing research under Prof. Walt in the Curry School focusing on Research Methods, Higher Education, and Civic Engagement. I am also an avid member in our Transfer Advisory Board’s Academic Committee. 

What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far?
This is having little to do with UVA, but it happened here so I suppose it must count. I was walking across the bridge above Emmet street when small little dust-like snow particles fell in droves, and with the sun shining, it just made for the greatest feeling. Being that I am from South Florida, I have never had the opportunity to experience something like that.

What is your guilty pleasure?
I’m bad at painting, but I love it so much. Some days I’ll spend hours on a painting that just looks… less than desirable.