Get to know YWLP Big Sister, Gwendolyn Apgar!

What do you miss the most about your hometown when you're at UVA?
When I’m at UVA, I miss spending time with my parents and dog. My parents are my role models and my best friends; I always get excited for breaks when I get to go home and hang out with them. We are only a few metro stops away from D.C., so it’s fun planning an outing there. As for my dog, John Lennon, he is the greatest companion and is the star of my Snapchats and Instagram when I’m up in Fairfax!

Why are you passionate about the Women's Center?
I am constantly amazed by all of the incredible people at the Women’s Center and everything that they do and have accomplished for our community. I am a strong advocate for women’s rights and empowerment, and feel so lucky to be connected to the Women’s Center through YWLP and the ISC, as it is our philanthropy.

What's something you know you do differently than most people?
Whenever I’m driving and must pass a drive-thru, toll station, parking attendant, etc., I have to get out of my car when I roll up. This is because 1) I never get close enough and 2) I have short arms. My friends always laugh at me me, but I really knew this was an anomaly when I drove across the George Washington Bridge into New York City – the attendant’s expression is forever etched in my mind, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

What is your favorite UVA Tradition?
Definitely Lighting of the Lawn. It brings the entire University community together to my favorite place on Grounds. Every time that I step onto the Lawn, I am filled with sense of pride and community. There is no better way to celebrate UVA and the end of a semester than being surrounded by my classmates, bright lights, music, and tacky sweaters.

If you had access to a time machine, where and when would you go?
This is hard for me because I’m a strong believer in living in the present and not dwindling on what could have happened and what could happen. With that being said, I would love to relive some of my favorite memories over and over again, so I might go back to those.

What's a fun fact you'd like people to know about you?
I’m kind of obsessed with Dunkin’ Donuts coffee (like “5 seconds after getting back to the United States from Africa I was already in line for Dunkin” kind of obsessed.) I silently mourned their closure on the Corner.