Get to know Social Media Marketing Team intern, Holly Miller!

Year: 2nd year
Major: Sociology and hopefully Global Public Health
Hometown: Harrisonburg, Virginia

1. Why are you passionate about your program at the Women’s Center?
I really enjoy my program a lot because I am very into social media. My friends know me as the girl that is always scrolling through a feed. The social media marketing team interested me because I could put my good skills to use in a way that helps the community around me. I get to broadcast events going on at the Women’s Center and around Grounds, and I get to share local and global news to our community. I’m excited for all of the upcoming events and getting to interact with new groups of people.

2. What made you choose UVA over other schools you applied to?
I have been coming to camps and events at UVA since I was ten years old. I participated in the Summer Enrichment Program for several years, as well as Leadership on the Lawn (2014) and UVA’s mini med school (2012). I have always felt at home at UVA, and it had everything I was looking for in a college: large student population, good athletics, wide variety of majors, and a credible prestige. I liked that while UVA had such great academics and rankings, it also had such a thriving social life. That balance is really what sold me.

3. What has surprised you about UVA?
While this is a common answer, I am truly blown away by how small this school can feel. I can’t walk anywhere around grounds without seeing at least one person I knew. Even with 16,000 students, we are still able to make such personal connections with each other, and I find that amazing.

4. What’s something you know you do differently than most people? I have an obsession with cleaning my ears. I clean my ears at least twice daily, and never feel completely clean until I do. I know most people clean their ears much less frequently, if at all, and I try not to think about it. This is also why I’ll never share headphones!

5. If you could have coffee with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
Queen Elizabeth I. I have always found her so incredibly inspiring, especially for her time period.