The Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center is excited to announce the 3rd year of the Young Women Leadership Program’s (YWLP) Global Internship! The YWLP Global Internship is an approximately two-week non-paid internship to our YWLP Global Sister Site Cameroon! During January 2017 (J-term) the selected student will travel to Cameroon and contribute to "Enhancing Connections" between Charlottesville and Cameroon YWLP Programs. Dr. Caroline Berinyuy, who is the founder of the YWLP Cameroon Sister Site, will mentor the selected candidate while in Cameroon. Candidates must be continuing at the University of Virginia the following academic year (fall 2016 through spring 2017) to be considered for this award and internship.
The internship award will pay for airfare to and from Cameroon as well as lodging, food expenses, visas, immunizations and other travel-related expenses (subject to approval by Jaronda Miller-Bryant, Associate Program Director YWLP).
Requirement: We are seeking a UVA undergraduate who: 1) is currently participating or has participated in YWLP in past years; Preference given to applicants who have participated in YWLP in previous years as a Big Sister, Facilitator, Intern or a JPC Team member; 2) will be returning to UVA for the 2017-2018 academic year, and 3) has a demonstrated interest in learning about new cultures.
Post-Travel Requirements: In conjunction with accepting this internship, candidate will enroll in an independent study during Spring 2017 and will agree to complete several post-travel assignments and a presentation during Global Education Week 2017. Documents and projects will be approved by Jaronda Miller-Bryant.Global Intern Post-Travel Requirements:
- October - December 2016 - Attend video/photography training with UVA Media Lab
- October - December 2016 - Capture videos of UVA groups to take to show in Cameroon
- J-Term 2017 - In Cameroon, collect raw videos for the promotional professional videos
- J-Term 2017 - In Cameroon, collect items to add to Global Connections curriculum activities and to share with YWLP groups in Charlottesville
- Spring 2017 - Visit all 7th grade Charlottesville YWLP groups and show and talk about Cameroon experience and videos/pics
- Summer 2017 - Complete the annual Eyes on the Site Report (EOTS)
- August 2017 - Attend and present at YWLP Facilitator Retreat and YWLP Big Sister Training to get the college women excited about global connections and working with Sister Sites
- October 2017 – Digital Story Presentation during UVA Global Week 2017
Please follow the link to the applications and submit by Tuesday, October 11, 2016 by 5:00pm
If you are having trouble viewing the application, please copy and paste the link: