students in lounge
Resources

Get to know Gender Violence & Social Change intern, Carrie Bohmer!

Year: 4th
Major: Psychology and Women, Gender, and , Sexuality
Hometown: Richmond, VA

1. Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center?

​​I think that gender based violence is 100% preventable and so it's really important for me to try to end it. Too many people are hurt by it and I wanna be a part of fixing this. I want to be a sexual assault therapist after college and so I think also working in prevention and awareness will help me to have a well-rounded understanding of the field and topic of sexual assault.

2. What made you choose UVA over other schools you applied to? ​​

I loved the traditions that it practices and the feel of sophistication that it expels. It epitomizes what a college should feel like to me and I absolutely love it, despite any flaws it may have.

3. What has surprised you about UVA? ​​

The lack of diversity really surprised me when I first came here. My high school was very diverse and interesting and I definitely took that mixing of cultures and backgrounds for granted and UVA is definitely lacking in that department.

4. What's something you know you do differently than most people?

​One thing people always point out to me when they come into my room is my peculiar way of folding and organizing my clothes. My tshirts are stacked not in a normal vertical pile, but across the bottom of the drawer so that I can see every shirt design when it is put away so that I don't have to rummage through a pile. My closet is also organized be the length of sleeve whereas most people organize by color.

5. If you could have coffee with anyone from history, who would it be and why?

I would have coffee with ​Martin Luther King Jr. because I feel like any conversation, no matter how short, would be life-changing.