Get to know Iris Magazine intern, Laura Hinnenkamp!

Year: Second 
Major: English and WGS 
Hometown: Lancaster, PA

1) What drew you to the Iris internship, and/or what types of stories or subject areas do you hope to experiment with or specialize in for Iris?

I knew how amazing the Women’s Center was, and I was interested in getting involved as an intern. I was attracted to Iris in particular because of its inherent nature as a publication produced by women for women. Iris represents this idea of creating a community and having a space to discuss female issues, celebrate diversity, and encourage female success on Grounds and on a larger scale. I believe the written word is a powerful tool of change and that we must, as women, use this tool to share our voices. I hope to cover a range of subject areas and develop a unique point of view! 

2) What has surprised you about UVA?

Coming from out-of-state, I thought that the student body would be pretty homogenous, but throughout my first year I quickly realized there’s diversity of both thought and population if you seek it.

3) If you could go back or forward in time, where would you go and why?

I would go back in time to when my mom was my age. She plays such a large role in my life and is one of my greatest role models. I think it would be really interesting to see what she was like during her formative years, on her way to becoming the woman I know today. 

4) If you could have dinner/breakfast/tea [you pick!] with anyone from history, who would it be?

This may be cheating, but I would invite two--Jane Austen and Sylvia Plath. It is easy to make assumptions about writers based on their work, so I would like to explore their true personalities and what their opinions on different subjects are. Both had very intriguing lives and work and lived at different times, hopefully enabling an engaging dynamic.

5) Who is your favorite fictional character, and why?

Belle from Beauty and the Beast will always hold a special place in my heart. I obsessed over the movie when I was younger and found Belle to be a very loving, brave, and smart character.