Get to know Legal Clinic intern, Victoria Farris!

Year: Class of 2018
Major: Political Philosophy, Policy and Law and Philosophy Double Major
Hometown: Sarasota, Florida

Why are you passionate about your program at the Women's Center? 
I’m passionate about the Women’s Center Legal Clinic because I believe in the power of the law as a social impact tool. I also believe it is important that the opportunity for legal counsel is available to all individuals in our community. Interning at the Women’s Center Legal Clinic has allowed me to experience firsthand the significance of pro bono legal services, and the impact that lawyers can have when they share their talents in a selfless manner!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
In ten years, I hope to be a lawyer, in the social justice advocacy sector!

What other organizations are you involved with at UVA?
I am the President of The Jefferson Literary and Debating Society this semester. I’m also a member of Secretariat for VAMUN, UVA’s high school Model United Nations Conference. I also enjoy coaching debate through The Charlottesville Debate League and volunteering as a classroom assistant in a Kindergarten classroom through Madison House.

What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far? 
One of my favorite memories at UVA was last year’s graduation ceremony! I helped organize a brunch for the graduating members of The Jefferson Society, which included a few of my close friends and role models. Having the chance to say my goodbyes to the people who had such an impact on me during my time at UVA, watching them walk the Lawn, and knowing I’d be in their shoes in the following year, was so special to me!

What is something you know you do differently than other people? 
I only celebrate my “real” birthday every four years, because I was born on Leap Day!

What is your guilty pleasure? 
I really like watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, despite the fact that I never really splurge on high-end makeup products, or spend very much time doing elaborate makeup on myself! They’re just fun to watch!