Name: Jay Li
Year: Fourth
Major: Computer Science and Economics

1.    Why did you join the Body Positive team?

I specifically joined the Body Positive team because I wanted to learn how to bring body positivity into my circles and communities. I can recall so many times when I’ve wanted to say something in response to one of my friend’s negative talk, but I didn’t have the vocabulary nor confidence to say anything. When I saw that the Body Positive team was looking for interns, I was excited for a chance to expand my knowledge and make tangible changes.

2.    What are some intersections of your identity and how does that relate to body positivity?

As an Asian woman, I have had trouble reconciling what the “ideal Asian woman” looks like and what the “ideal American woman” looks like. This intersection has been difficult to navigate since there are so many contradictory messages I get from each identity. As a result, I’ve struggled with my body image as I flip between two “ideals”. This is so relevant to body positivity since it is so much more than just someone’s weight, it is an intersectional discussion involving all facets of social justice. 

3.    What projects and ideas are you excited about exploring with the team?

I am excited to dive deeper into the social justice oriented roots of body positivity and bring that into our discussions and events. I am looking forward to the great conversations we’ll have on Grounds and the collaborations we’ll have with different organizations!