Class Year: 2023
Major: History DMP and Politics
Hometown: Richmond, VA

1.    What brought you to the Women's Center?
I first learned about the Women's Center after they co-sponsored an event that my club hosted during my first year. The next year, I applied and got into the Women's Center internship program and the rest is history.

2.    What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far?
I really loved Lighting of the Lawn my first year. I think that was the moment I felt sure that my decision to come to UVA was the right one. It was so cold outside, but I felt warm on the inside as I stood there under the lights of the Rotunda surrounded by my friends.

3.    Who is a woman that inspires you?
One of my favorite women writers is Donna Tartt, the author of "The Goldfinch" and "The Secret History". I recently joked to my roommate that I could read Donna Tartt's grocery list and it would change my life. Donna Tartt published her debut (and my favorite) novel when she was twenty-eight. Since then, Tartt only publishes one novel every ten years. I am inspired by Donna Tartt because her craft as a writer is nothing if not inspirational. But I am also inspired by Tartt because she reminds me that my age, my youth, does not determine what I can and cannot accomplish. Tartt also reminds me that writing or making something worthwhile takes patience and dedication. In a highspeed world of constant communication and instant gratification, I have Tartt to remind me that good things take time (sometimes even ten years).

4.    What is one thing you do after a stressful day?
I love listening to music after a stressful day. I have a record player at home and I really enjoy listening to older artists like ABBA or Simon and Garfunkel on vinyl. When I destress with music on Spotify, I really love listening to Laufey. She's an Icelandic Chinese singer who writes modern jazz music with pop and classical influences. Laufey's singing voice can calm me down in any situation. Her music is perfect for relaxing after a long day.

5.    How does your work with the Women's Center motivate you?
My internship at the Women's Center has given me the opportunity to work and become friends with some of the most incredible women and people on grounds. Everyone I know at the Women's Center is so passionate, engaged, and empowered to make social change happen in the UVA community and beyond. I feel constantly motivated by these individuals to be a better leader, advocate, ally, and friend.

6.    What is a podcast, TV show, etc., that has grabbed your attention and why?
I finally got around to watching "Bridgerton", right in time for the release of season two. It's actually funny that it's taken me this long to watch the show since I love period pieces, and I play in a string ensemble (Radio Music Society) that arranges music just like the pop covers in the show. While I enjoyed the first season, I loved the second season even more. I think the new lead actress, Simone Ashley, perfectly captures the essence of my favorite Jane Austen heroines. Simone's character in season two, Kate Sharma, reminded me so much of the stubborn, witty, yet loving, Elizabeth Bennett in "Pride and Prejudice". I also loved seeing Simone Ashley and Charithra Chandran bring South Asian representation to the Bridgerton cast in the second season. I cannot wait for season three!