When other suitable mental health resources can meet individuals' needs more quickly than we are able to, we provide referrals to providers both on and off Grounds. If you have trouble navigating these resources, or need help with search terms or understanding therapy options, please email or call us at 434-982-2252 and we will set up a care management consultation to talk you through the process.
Local Mental Health Provider Directories
- MiResource community referral database
- The Psychology Today directory
- Your insurance company’s mental health provider directory. Students with UVA Student Aetna should look here.
Many therapists are now offering telehealth-based counseling. If you have trouble finding a therapist with openings in Charlottesville, you should search your insurance provider list and the Psychology Today provider list for therapists elsewhere in Virginia who are offering counseling via telehealth. Please note that your therapist is required by law to be licensed in the state where you are currently living while receiving treatment, regardless of their physical location.
UVA Mental Health Clinics
The Women’s Center collaborates across Grounds with other clinics who provide counseling. These clinics provide mental health assistance to members of the Charlottesville community:
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) – short term counseling, care management, and crisis counseling to all UVA students, as well as a broad array of groups, 1-time consultation, outreach and ongoing affinity group connection options
- Ainsworth Clinic - free of charge, individual counseling for adults with non-emergent depression and anxiety
- Sheila Johnson Center - sliding scale, takes insurance, sees all ages for CBT-based individual therapy
- UVA Outpatient Psychiatry at Northridge
- UVA Family Stress Clinic
Charlottesville area Non-profit Community Mental Health Clinics:
- Region Ten Community Services Board - individual, groups, voluntary in-patient and crisis services. Takes most insurance and has a sliding scale for uninsured clients. All aged clients.
- The Women’s Initiative - free of charge, individual and group therapy for adult women and their partners who are uninsured or underinsured
- Sexual Assault Resource Agency - free counseling and other support for survivors of sexual violence
- Shelter for Help in Emergency - free individual and group counseling to community members experiencing domestic violence
Other Mental Health Support Options
In addition to counseling, there are many ways to support and foster good mental health. UVA has many resources well worth exploring, whether or not you are in counseling.
- Silvercloud and other free apps for UVA students that teach ways to manage anxiety, depression and to address other concerns
- Wahoo Well – online wellness survey with 1:1 confidential conversation that focuses on your strengths, goals, and motivation
- HoosinRecovery - support for changing your relationship to alcohol and other substances
- Contemplative Sciences Center – offers classes on wellness and stress management, resilience, mindfulness meditation, and yoga