Name: Komal Kamdar

Year: 2nd

Major: Leadership & Public Policy and Spanish

Hometown: Virginia Beach

1.    What brought you to the Women's Center?

My first semester at UVA, my COLA taught by the amazing Professor Theresa Davis was centered around Stories of Social Change, where we learned about a variety of issues hindering women around the world. I asked her about how I could get involved around grounds with supporting survivors of sexual assault, an issue of personal importance to me. She referred me to the Women’s Center, which was a positive space to collaborate and learn from other women activists. The Women’s Center felt like a home as soon as I walked in, introducing me to strong, empowering women who have encouraged me to be grow and be more confident.

2.    What other organizations are you involved with at UVA?

In addition to being an intern for the Gender Violence and Social Change intern team at the Women’s Center, I am extremely involved with Alpha Phi Omega, a national gender-inclusive service fraternity. We partner and work with over 50 organizations in the surrounding Charlottesville area, and it’s a great way to get out of the UVA bubble and get to know the community more through one-on-one interactions and experience. It’s also become my home here at UVA, as it’s an incredibly supportive and tightknit community where I’ve had the opportunity to make friends through service.

3.    If you could describe your intern team in 3 words, what would they be?

uplifting, brave, passionate

4.    What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far?

I will never forget winning the NCAA National Championship. I watched at JPJ with my best friends, and the atmosphere was absolutely and undeniably crazy. The school spirit was through the roof, from storming the Corner afterwards to the celebration on the Lawn that lasted until the early hours of the morning. I have never felt more at home here at UVA, and proud to be a part of the Cavalier community.

5.    What does leadership mean to you?

Leadership is listening to others, making sure no voice in a group goes unheard, and empowering the group as a whole. Being a leader can be leading by example, guiding others alongside you. A true leader should be able to receive feedback, improve, and inspire others to take action.

6.    What is your guilty pleasure?

Any and all things Food Network. Holiday Baking Championship, Chopped, and don’t even get me started on all the Guy Fieri shows.