Student Spotlight: Abeba Amenshowa
Name: Abeba Amenshowa
Major: Global Development Studies and Foreign Affairs
1. What brought you to the Women's Center?
I was attracted to the welcoming environment full of diverse women who I knew I'd be able to depend on and learn from.
2. What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far?
My favorite memories at UVA have all been nights I've spent kicking it at my crib with my friends and us just enjoying each other's company.
3. Who is a woman that inspires you?
A woman that inspires me is Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo movement. Up until recently it was almost unheard of to have men, especially powerful men, to face consequences for their actions when they sexually harass women (especially women of color) and all the work that's been done so far has been due to her early work.
4. What is one thing you do after a stressful day?
I love watching TV shows and listening to music
5. How does your work for the Women's Center motivate you?
I've never experienced working in an environment full of just women and it's amazing because (from personal experience) it's a much more accepting and understanding space. As a woman, especially a woman of color, it's easy to feel unheard and under appreciated in a lot of spaces around grounds so being part of a group where your work is acknowledged and everyone is so encouraging is really motivating.
6. What’s a podcast or TV show that’s grabbed your attention recently?
The Handmaid's Tale.