students in lounge
Resources

Name: Alyssa Candelmo
Major: Foreign Affairs, Minor in Psychology
Year: Fourth

1.    What brought you to the Women's Center?

I joined the Women’s Center to not only make a positive impact on the lives of my fellow students, but also to serve the Charlottesville community as a whole.

2.    What is your favorite memory of UVA thus far?

My favorite memory of UVA thus far has been with the Summer Language Institute for Spanish. This near-immersion program is 8 weeks long with a very small class size but ultimately the most rewarding experience for me at UVA. I made some of my closest friends through it and truly connected with my professors (shoutout to Joel Rini, Melissa Frost and Thallya Diaz!)

3.    Who is a woman that inspires you?

My answer to this question has always been, and will always be, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. With her passing, I have rededicated myself to carrying on her legacy and sharing her story with the next generations of women who seek to make a difference in this world.

4.    What is one thing you do after a stressful day? 

I’m lucky enough to have the best of friends, life partner and kitty to get my through particularly stressful days. To unwind, I enjoy baking for an impromptu dinner party with the Morgans, Jimmy and Julep!

5.    How does your work for the Women's Center motivate you?

On the Legal Clinic team, I am constantly reminded of the hardships endured by countless members of the Charlottesville community. Their stories motivate me to be kind, compassionate and empathetic. Being able to provide such a needed service, for free, to those who otherwise may not have gotten the help they need, is the most rewarding part of my work for the Women’s Center.

6.    What’s a podcast or TV show that’s grabbed your attention recently?

Podcast: Your Mom’s House. TV Show: Fargo (Season 4), The Boys (Season 2) and Lovecraft Country.