Fall 2020 Update:
- We will be providing pre-packaged, grab ‘n go bags from our Food Pantry this semester. We will post the hours to pick up bags of non-perishable items here and on the calendar page of this site. Hygiene items will be available, too.
- The UVA Community Food Pantry will publish updates on the availability of various pantries on Grounds this semester.
- A tool for locating food resources in the area is available on the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank's website.
- Pantry hours for this semester:
- Thursdays: 10:00am - 12:00pm
- If you need assistance outside of food pantry hours, please contact our Care Manager, Latoria White to schedule a time for obtaining a grab ‘n go bag at email@example.com or 434-982-2252.
UVA students (graduate and undergraduate), faculty members, and staff members who face the challenges of financial hardships, hunger and/or food insecurity are welcome to use our food pantry. There are no eligibility requirements to use the pantry. Any demographic or utilization survey information is optional and anonymous.
- Our food pantry is stocked with a range of non-perishable staple items (tuna, noodle bowls, rice, nuts, peanut butter, oatmeal, beans, soups, applesauce, etc.)
- The refrigerator in our pantry also has packaged dairy products (cheese, milk, yogurt, soymilk)
- Basic hygiene products (tampons, pads, deodorant) are available in the drawer in our pantry.
Our pantry is open during the center's regular hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:00. (We are open year-round with the exception of holidays on which offices across the University are closed.)
The pantry is located on the main floor of the Women’s Center. Look for food pantry signs pointing out the second door on the right in the central hallway.
ODOS has estimated that 1,200 UVA undergraduate students are at risk of food insecurity. (This number does not include graduate students and faculty/staff members.) As a member of UVA’s Food Insecurity Workgroup, we are committed to ending food insecurity and hunger across Grounds. Our food pantry at the Women's Center is a satellite pantry location offered on Grounds in addition to the UVA Community Food Pantry. Information about other satellite pantry locations on Grounds is available on our Toolkits, Guides & Links page.
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life. It is important to know that hunger and food insecurity are closely related, but distinct, concepts. Hunger refers to a personal, physical sensation of discomfort, while food insecurity refers to a lack of available financial resources for food at the level of the household (Feeding America, 2019.)
Many thanks to the UVA Parents Fund for their support of Grounds-wide efforts to address food insecurity!